If you feel hiring a lawyer, puts an end to all your worries then you are living in a bubble. If you wish to hire a lawyer in order to make him fight an accident case for you, then you have to be active every phase of the case. But, the difficult part is hiring the right lawyer. References are the obvious route to contacting lawyers, but what has worked for your friend, may not necessarily work for you. So, there are a few steps which will help you in being aware while you hire a lawyer to fight an accident case for you or any of your family members.
What I got to contribute?
I should make this clear that fortunately I have not being into any legal messes till date. But, as my sister was studying law, I decided to go through various journals that can help me get idea about laws and lawyers. Though, I must admit that I have managed to learn nothing about the field, I managed to get an idea about the way lawyers work and their types. You can easily be be-fooled into hiring a lawyer who asserts much, but has little practice. If you wish to get hold of a good lawyer, do take heed to ask him a series of questions, before you hire him. I would suggest, that no matter how reputed a lawyer is, you should ask him all the following questions:
• From which educational background have you come from?
• In the past few years, did you take any continuing education courses in this field?
• How many years have you spend in this field?
• How many accident cases have you settled successfully
• In your previous cases, have you represented the insurance company or the injured persons?
• Would you be working alone, or any other attorney assisting you in the case?
• What do you think about my chances of winning?
• Will you honor my wish of going for a lower settlement and avoiding a trial?
• Will you be interested in going to trial for a larger amount, if I wish to accept a lower settlement?
• Are you charging a retainer fee?
• Will you be interested in working on a contingency fee basis?
• Are there any additional expenses that I should know about?
How should you know which lawyers to not work with?
It is not easy to make a decision about the right kind of lawyers. An attorney, who has gained experience in representing insurance companies, will surely not be the best choice for your case. Only an attorney, who has had experience in representing injured people, would be the right professional to go for. Also, a lawyer who asks for a fee upfront is not the right person to go for. No matter whatever the fee is, he is more interested in the money than on the case. So, consider these points when you have a case in hand.